Saturday, May 12, 2007

Bonnie

I don't know how you spell her name. The way I got to know her was interesting. Energetic and somewhat bizarre, she gave away of herself little by little. She has a boyfriend. She lives in the Marin (She has a friendly smile). Leonard Cohen is her man, along with this guy named David Burns and some obscure English Guitar player. She travels outside of the U.S. just so "She can breathe" at least once a year. she gets excited easily; she befriends quickly;
She got us seats doing the "voodoo" that she do(!)with the waiter..

and then boom, it came:

And clenching your fist for the ones like us
who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
you fixed yourself, you said, "Well never mind,
we are ugly but we have the music.

She cried.
She said this is "THE LINE". We're ugly, but we have the music.
It touched somehwere deep in my heart, perhaps because of the martinis I'd had..but still. I just felt an overwhelming sense of..empathy, maybe?
I wish there was a way of transferring that atmosphere by writing. I can't seem to do it. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about Bonnie ,Janet and Daniel, knowing Janet will ask herself at some point, what happened to that girl that night?
She's just fine.

No comments: