Thursday, April 19, 2007

Environmentalism 101

Something interesting has happened to me since I started writing my thoughts. As if they were imprisoned in a clogged pipe, my thoughts, slide into my head and want to burst out! I write one, and the other one in the line is waiting to be written..And I can't think it's only because I have suddenly transformed into this creative person..because they come to me in the "Weblog" format!! just to be written here. Sometimes I find myself forming sentences in my mind..and then I stop, thinking it would be cheating..it just has to flow. that is how I write.

OK, so this is the first thought in the line. You know, not that I'm proud of this, but I'm no environmentalist, really; it maybe because I lived in a place where worrying about energy conservation, ironically, seemed too removed from reality. I mean, people are unemployed, you don't have money, and you are bombarded with religious propaganda..who has time for the environment? Think about the martyrs! forget the environment! and anyhow, each person has their taste and their priorities..and mine was not the environment. This is not to say I was not concious; just not passionate. Finally, I put it all off by philosophising..when I'm dead, I won't be here to "feel" anything. What do I care even if the world comes to an end? I'd be dead anyway...
One night, this last time I was home, I was talking to my dad over dinner. He's not an environmentalist either, but he was put off by what he thought was my exaggerated "self centrism". He claimed to be worried about me. What kind of an egocentric life would I lead? What about others in the world? Then, he asked me: If I told you that because you don't do something (or do something) a very big stone will fall from heavens on Kaveh's head (admittedly, quite a comic thought!) would you still continue with it? Let's say it falls once you're dead!!(god forbid)
I was speechless. Well. Of course I would not; not even if the stone were to fall on Kaveh's kids' heads!!!! in a matter of a minute, I got it!! I'm going to put environmentalism in this very "primitive" framework of mine. Stone on Kaveh's head: bad.
I'm hereby, an avid environmentalist. I recycle, I care..I may even become passionate someday!!! (But I still didn't like the Al Gore movie..it was too much lecture, too little art for my taste)

1 comment:

Dani California said...

I remember having this exact debate with you in college. Neither of us won the debate, but I remember wondering what argument it would take to convince you that it is worth your time to recycle, conserve energy, etc. Since then I had occasional brainstorming sessions: environmental degradation can lead to global unrest, such as wars over resources. Global warming will show it's impact in your lifetime. Because I said so. Etc, etc. I thought that only the most sophisticated answer could get to you. But sometimes the answer is right under our noses, isn't it? The personal is political, not the other way around.