Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Thought

I watched that PBS documentary about Iranians going to Karbala a while ago. It made me cry, mostly because I had to face what I had gone through as a child..By that, I don't mean the sound of "red siren" or anything..I mean the mentality that we all had to submit to. The absurdity of it all...
I remember once they asked us at school what we had for dinner, and Sahar and I went into an elaborate story of how our mother's prepare "hors d'oeuvre" for our father's "Aab e Ananas", (Pineapple Juice) which apparently was our family's nickname for Vodka!!! That caused some problems, but then it was a small town, and everyone knew our family, and it was all fixed quickly.
But that aside, Pooya mentioned something during the film that was very interesting; more so because I had failed to notice it myself. There was footage of revolution and demonstrations.and people were shouting "Death to Shaah". Now why not impeach Shah? or kick him out of the office? No..they wanted him dead. I was thinking, maybe because he had shown to people, somehow, that the only way for him to be out of the office is for him to be dead. But is that really true? OR is this because we are simply intolerant?
When I was watching this film again, with a group of friends, one of them kept saying he wanted to kill the people in the movie. (Of course, it was a figure of speech, but still). Some of them were annoying to me as well, but do we really want them not to exist? My reaction was more of amazement, and I thought of it as a challenge to come to terms with the fact that these people are parts of my country.
...my complex, turmoiled country!

No comments: